Application for Letter of Approval
What the service is about
In accordance with the CDM Modalities and Procedures, all CDM projects must be granted a Letter of Approval (LoA) from a Designated National Authority (DNA) in both the host country and Annex 1 DNAs of the involved Parties confirming that they participate voluntarily in the project and that the project, as proposed in the Project Design Document (PDD), is in compliance with all national laws and will assist to achieve goals of sustainable development.
Who are provided the service
We currently approve participation of companies resident in or with a branch in Rwanda.
Service processes (steps)
- Submission of the application by the applicant
- Performance of a completeness check
- Assessment of the Application which amounts to approval or rejection
Required documents( for application)
- Project design document (PDD) completed;
- Sustainable development criteria checklist (completed);
- Report of local stakeholders consultation meeting;
- Any necessary reference documentation (if applicable);
- Official approval of the Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) - (if applicable);
Additional information / documents may be requested.
Important notice to applicants (if any)
- No alteration of templates-including format, font, headers or logo.
- Concise and precise information under each section.
- Applications may ONLY be made electronically.
- In case the PDD cannot be accepted, the DNA secretariat will gather comments from the public consultation and inform the project proponent(s) to address them. Project proponents can resubmit the PDD.
- If there is a rejection case, a letter stating reasons is provided.
- Project participants will have the right to appeal the final decision taken by the DNA. In a first step, they may appeal the decision with the Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Environment. The PS will verify the decision taken by the DNA and determine whether it has been produced in accordance with the approval procedures. The PS will notify the project participants of his/her decision within 30 days.
- Rwanda DNA does not charge any fees for issuing a letter of approval.
Important links (if any)
- Sustainable development criteria checklist is available at http://applications.rema.gov.rw/templates
- Latest versions of Project Design Document (PDD) can be downloaded from UNFCCC website https://cdn.unfccc.int/Reference/PDDs_Forms/index.html