Application for authorization to use plastic bags
What the service is about
The Law banning plastic bags and single use plastics in Rwanda provides for special authorization to use the plastics in certain cases. People requiring to use banned plastics in exceptional cases must apply for prior authorization to the Authority (REMA).
This service allows people requiring such authorization to apply online.
Who are provided the service
People in the public or private sector with products without other technically viable alternative packaging to plastic bags.
Service processes (steps)
1. Application by the potential user with details on the products to be packaged, types of plastics to use, reasons for applying for special authorization, expected quantities, origin of packaging materials, possible management plan including collection and disposal of plastics where applicable.
2. Assessment of the application by REMA to determine whether the special authorization can be granted or not.
3. Response to the applicant with specific conditions, in case of positive consideration.
4. Follow up, reporting and approval for clearance of the plastics from customs in case these are imported in order to verify if the imported materials comply with approval conditions
Required documents( for application)
- Technical specifications of the products and packaging materials required
- Pictures of the products to be packaged
- Pictures of the packaging material, if any
Important notice to applicants (if any)
- REMA does not charge any fee for the authorization
Important links (if any)